Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Women rights and food

Fayrouz blogs about the controversial GC Shari'a law and also posts some telling stories about women rights in the Middle East. Riverbend has also followed on the subject and with some links from Sistani's website, (I wonder if he has a blog?).

And our dear Ihath thinks we're obsessed with food: "So here is some Iraqi logic for you, bombs every where, long lineups at the gas station, no electricity, we hate Saddam ..................... lets eat!". And.......... she's right! We make such a fuss over food. I was even toying with the idea of posting recipes myself, especially since some of our women bloggers haven't been doing such a great job of it and are more concerned about their rights. Well let's switch roles. I'm going to talk about my kitchen skills.

At the moment we're having a cooking contest at the doctor's residence. Our cook (who is a hilarious little chap) thinks he's even greater than chef Ramzi. I used to think so, but since he prepared us a lunch of rice and margat shijar (marga is tomato sauce with meat and some vegetable which can be beans, eggplants, potatoes, spinach, or celery, it's the most popular meal in Iraq for lunch and is served with boiled rice) which was made of pumpkin the other day I changed my mind. It looked like bloody vomit. I usually cook them dinner, as the rest of the doctors don't even know how to boil an egg. They think I'm sent to them from heaven. I offered to cook them Italian food for a change and they're so excited about it. The cook thinks I wouldn't stand a chance against him but we'll see.