Saturday, January 31, 2004

Slate story on Zaydun

Thanks to everyone who pointed out this story to me. Wendell Steavenson, a former reporter for Time magazine, has been in Samarra interviewing Zaydun's family, his cousin Marwan, an Iraqi ICDC lieutenant, as well as the American Colonel in command of the US force in Samarra. Here is the story.

UPDATE: I can't stress how disgusted and dissapointed I am with the people who are still in denial:
"Oh no our soldiers are good and educated, they would never do that!"
"Our soldiers would have no motive to lie".
"I would never trust a former Republican guard officer".
"I can't give judgement until the investigation is over".

Well people, picture this. Suppose I had published a similar account of Iraqi Fedayeen pushing two American soldiers in a river, drowning one of them in the process. Would you have reacted in the same manner? Would all you armchair analysts say "Oh no, lets not rush to conclusions. We should wait for the investigation results"? Would you all suddenly be so 'open minded'?

No, you would be jumping all over it crying and condemning the 'murderous' Fedayeen.

You have no idea how insulting this all is to me. And I'm getting more convinced day by day that some of you are not any different from the 'leftists' you are all so happy to bash, and that you are not really interested in hearing the TRUTH, you're only interested in hearing what you NEED to hear. Truly disgusting and pathetic.

***

I guess most of you are still missing my point. Read the last paragraph above carefully and stop screaming. Meanwhile I leave you with this quote:

"Have we not already seen enough of the fallacy and extravagance of those ideal theories which have amused us with promises of an exemption from the imperfections, weaknesses and evils incident to society in every shape? Is it not time to awake from the deceitful dream of a golden age, and to adopt as a practical maxim for the direction of our political conduct that we, as well as the other inhabitants of the globe, are yet remote from the happy empire of perfect wisdom and perfect virtue?"

Alexander Hamilton, 1789