Thursday, November 20, 2003

Clarifications

As to my rant a couple of days ago, I don't feel like I should explain or apologize for it. It was a very scary situation the last few days, Baghdad engulfed in darkness, explosions heard everywhere, conflicting news about what was exactly going on. I realize that major military operations have been implemented again in an effort to counter the 'resistance'. I'm still dissapointed that nobody explained the reasons behind the power failure. It's still awful, we're now getting less than 8 hours of power a day. I only got a grasp of the situation from the internet, but what about the other 27 million Iraqis? How are they supposed to find out? Most Baghdadis think its a form of mass punishment by the CPA, and since no one bothered to explain to them the real reasons they are not to blame for thinking so.

Okay, the rape bit was a bit extreme and an overreaction. But I am not going to abandon my point about the public trials and executions, I can't see how they contradict with so-called human rights. I wasn't saying something like: "let's gather all the Baathists in the country and behead them on tv". I was referring to the captured regime figures and foreign terrorists. It's very depressing not to hear anything about what was done with them. Some of them have been detained for seven months and I think it's now time to try them. You wouldn't believe if I told you what rumours are going around about them. A significant number of Iraqis believe that Abd Humood, Chemical Ali, or Tariq Aziz are actually now in Hawaii or some private island in the Carribean sipping champagne and laughing at the big fraud going on in Iraq. About one third of Iraqis think that Uday and Qusay weren't really killed in Mosul, and that the bodies displayed were really rubber dolls with makeup. I don't blame those people for thinking that way when we have absolutely no idea about these figures. People want revenge, they desperately need to see justice take its course. Do you have any idea what sadistic pleasure it would bring to Iraqis to see a widely hated and feared regime figure like Chemical Ali for instance sitting handcuffed in a cage in court mumbling with his eyes to the ground? God I would pay dearly to see that! I still remember the utter joy I experienced when I saw Taha Yassin Ramadan blindfolded and being insulted by Kurd fighters on Al-Jazeera some months ago, and I wished that I could have seen the same for every regime official on the day of his capture. And I am an Iraqi that hasn't really suffered directly on the hands of the fascist regime. Imagine what a woman widowed by Saddam would do to see that.

Also I think it is time to clarify some details about my background and status under the previous regime. I have never really mentioned before on this blog that I was a former Baathist some years ago. Shocked eh? Actually I had to become a party member during high school. Iraqi students from Kurdish families were expelled from the school (Baghdad College) after it became directly connected to Uday's Olympic committee. Our school's dean explained to us that any student that wasn't a party member would be also expelled. I couldn't afford to lose my seat in that school as it was the top school in Iraq, so I reluctantly joined the party ranks. At college however I managed to slip away gradually from the party and my membership file was lost somewhere in between. So I understand that not every Iraqi with ties to the Baath is truly a Baathist or should be punished for it.

Also I come from a Sunni family originally from the 'triangle'. Another surprise?
Actually the tribe I descend from is a rather mixed Sunni/Shi'ite tribe which is located in large parts of Iraq not just from the triangle area. Which means that I can't possibly condone mass punishment of Sunni Iraqis which would include my family and tribe in such measures. That would be ridiculous. I still live in a largely Sunni neighbourhood in Baghdad that is very aggressive to Americans, and if I was suggesting that the coalition bomb it just because of that, I and my family would be among the first victims.

Having said that I wish to add that my family can be considered a family that has benefited from Saddam's rule. I mentioned before that two of my uncles were high ranking generals in Saddam's army. One of them an Air Force Colonel which had a large role in the Iraq-Iran war during the eighties and had retired before the invasion of Kuwait. The other one a Lt. General was an Iraqi infantry division commander and one of the last generals to leave their posts on April 9, and I'm damn proud of them even though I was against the regime they served all those years. I had very close friends and contacts whose fathers were on the WANTED list of regime officials, and some who were cousins of Saddam, which meant that I had some privileges myself under the previous system. But those privileges didn't stop me from supporting the war and from wishing a prosperous and free life for my countrymen who didn't have such benefits. I owed my former lifestyle and position from being a member of the sectarian minority that ruled Iraq in the last 30 years, but that doesn't prevent me from turning against them now and demanding that they join the rest of Iraq in the quest of a better future by force if necessary.

So now you know a bit more about who I really am. Don't rush to conclusions or judgements from a few things I write or rant about. If you have read my posts so far, you should know better than that.