Saturday, November 22, 2003

Anti-terrorism demonstrations on December 10th

I found out yesterday on local tv (IMN) that the GC working together with Iraqi civil unions, provincial councils, prominent tribal leaders, clerics, and various political parties and organizations across the country are making preparations for large nationwide demonstrations condemning terrorism in Iraq on December 10th. I mentioned something about it before but I wasn't aware of the exact date. I also didn't hear anyone mention this in other media outlets as far as I know. The ministry of interior will provide adequate protection for demonstrators in coordination with coalition forces. I will keep you updated on other details as soon as I get them.

The only thing I can say is its about damn time. It would be great if someone can organize similar rallies on the same date in the US and Europe to show support and empathy for victims of terrorism in Iraq and the rest of the world. I can only ask you to spread the word about this.

I was ashamed and depressed watching those brainwashed and deluded demonstrators in London carrying signs calling for abandoning Iraq and for an end to aggression. While I can understand people who hold peaceful principles against wars in general but nevertheless wish to see Iraq free and prosperous, I fail to understand the logic behind the thinking that appeasing and understanding terrorists will make this world a better place. It was all the same 'No blood for oil', 'Not in my name', 'Bush is Hitler', 'Stop the war', 'End the occupation', 'Bring the troops home' nonsense over and over again. It was almost like one of our masira's in the dark times of the previous regime. If those people truly dislike Bush they should have kept their mouths shout about other issues which they can never understand and sticked to anti-Bush slogans. The only thing that warmed my heart was watching different self-respecting people carrying banners that said 'Mr. Bush you are most welcome, this lot does not speak for me'. I ditto that and add that this lot surely does not speak for Iraqis either. I'm sure Saddam is proud of you and clapping his hands in glee watching from whatever gutter he is hiding in right now. The fact that Al-Arabiyah station decicated two whole hours covering these demonstration while not a single subtitle about the anti-terrorism crowds marching in Iraq only disgusted me the more.

I guess those demonstrators chose to ignore the hundreds of innocent Turk Muslims and Jews that were killed and maimed the last few days in Istanbul, the Italian peacekeepers in Nassiriyah, the Lebanese families in Saudi Arabia, the Iraqi police, school children, UN and Red Cross workers in Baghdad, the Iraqis that were praying in Najaf, the Spanish tourists in Casablanca, the demonstrating students in Iran, and decided to spill tears for the poor Iraqi militants, the innocent Taliban, and the peace loving leaders of Hamas and Islamic Jihad. Why the hypocricy? Why the double standards? Someone seriously needs to teach these people the mechanisms of cause and effect. They are having it all jumbled up in their topsy-turvy view of the world. I can only say SHAME on you.

Even Salam Pax describes Gaith's dissapointment with the demonstrators as 'wickedly funny', I fail to see what exactly is amusing Salam in Gaith's words, and I think Salam is only making a fool of himself by attending these demonstrations if it were true. While I agree with Salam about some points regarding the post war planning part, I don't see anything helpful in marching with people against Bush and who think that Saddam should have remained in power. Come one Salam, if it weren't for that jolly old chap you refer to as Georgie you wouldn't be enjoying your freedom in London writing for the Guardian now would you my friend? Nevertheless enjoy your trip and wish you a safe return.